STUDY IN CANADA, APPLY FOR A CANADA STUDENT VISA
Canada is one of the world’s best places to further your studies and settle in the country after doing your course. Apply for a Canada student visa to study in some of the most reputed and highly ranked universities in the world. Find a great academic atmosphere and a high-quality lifestyle to complement that.
Before you apply for student visa in Canada, you have to decide on the institution and course you want to join. Then you have to understand the visa requirements which are pretty simple. The best thing about deciding to study in Canada is that you could plan for the long term right from the beginning, from studying and working after studies and you may also become a permanent resident.
First, let’s check out the country that has made a name for itself for being the most welcoming to skilled workers and talented international students.
Canada is called the Great White North. The country has garnered quite a few accolades including being the best country in the world. The country has a high ranking in terms of human rights and democracy. The country has an economy that people from all parts of the world want to work with and enjoy the benefits of. In that respect, Canada again comes out to be among the top nations of the world.
Education has a special contribution in the reputation Canada has on the global level. Be it undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate studies, Canada offers the best study environment that’s multicultural and inclusive. Besides that, international students get a safe environment to live in and they get to work for limited hours alongside their studies.
Why study in Canada?
Are you intrigued to know why people enthusiastically apply for a Canada student visa? Here are a few reasons that attract people from across the world to apply for student visa in Canada.
- Canada has some of the best universities in the world which regularly makes it into the top 100 list of world universities.
- Canadian universities deliver a pattern of education that includes career-focused study programs.
- International students will find a warm welcome in Canadian colleges and universities. University campuses even have international student advisors.
- There are different types of accommodations for international students to choose from.
- International students are allowed to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic season. When they have scheduled breaks like holidays or vacations, they can even work full-time.
- Canada upholds values like innovation, excellence, and academic freedom in the classrooms. Students get to do original research and they can share their ideas on important topics in their field of study.
- Even after completing graduation, internationals can stay back in Canada using the PGWP (Post-Graduate Work Permit) and live and work in Canada for up to 3 years. The length of validity of PGWP starts from 8 months. The actual duration depends on the length of the study program completed in Canada.
Best cities to study in Canada
- Quebec City
How to get a Canada student visa – Visa requirements and more
To study in Canada you will require a Canada study permit. But before applying for a study permit, you must choose the study program you are going to pursue and the educational institution (college or university) where you are going to pursue the course.
For post-secondary schools, there are colleges, universities, vocational and technical schools, and private career colleges. Each school has its own rules as to the application process. It includes the language skill level in English/French you need to get accepted.
It’s necessary that schools that enroll international students in provinces/territories, called DLIs (Designated Learning Institutes), must issue an acceptance letter on your behalf so that you can apply for a study permit.
The application for Canada study permit can be made online or by using the paper application. The online method is recommended to save time. While applying electronically, you need to create digital copies of supporting documents that need to be submitted.
Process of obtaining a Canada Student Visa
Here’s the process of obtaining a Canada student visa:
- Obtain a standardized letter of acceptance issued by a recognized higher education provider. If you are an international student studying in Quebec, a CAQ must be procured from the Quebec government.
- With the above-mentioned document, apply for a Canada study permit.
- Get a Canada Student Visa application package by answering certain questions about yourself. If your answers make you eligible, you can obtain the package from the CIC website. The package can also be obtained from a local visa office, the Canadian embassy/ consulate in the applicant’s home country.
- As an eligible applicant, you will get a personal checklist code to refer to regarding all the necessary supporting documents to be submitted and the necessary fees to be paid while applying. The checklist will be valid for 60 days.
- Create a MyCIC account when you are ready to apply. Enter your personal checklist code here. Upload and send your documents to CIC.
- Submit the application along with the requisite fee.
- It may be necessary for you to attend a visa interview at the Canada embassy/consulate near you.
- Once your application is approved, you will receive a Port of Entry. It’s a letter of introduction that you will be given if you require an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) and/or a temporary residence visa due to your nationality. The eTA is linked to your passport.
- While entering Canada, present the eTA, temp residence visa, and passport to the CBSA (Canada Border Security Agency). They will then verify and issue your Canada study permit which will let you enter Canada.
During your studies in Canada, you are allowed to do off-campus work of up to 20 hours per week during semesters and full-time during breaks like winter or summer holidays.
Your study permit has a validity that will expire 90 days after you have completed your study course. To stay longer (from 8 months to 3 years, depending on your original course duration) you have to acquire a PGWP. With a PGWP you can seek a job and work if you got one.
How Y-Axis can help you
Y-Axis guides/counsels you as you apply for a Canada student visa.
What's the IELTS score required for Canada Study Permit?
You will require at least 5.5 bands in each of the 4 IELTS segments. You will also need an overall minimum score of 6.0 to qualify to pursue undergraduate courses in Canada. If you are pursuing graduate courses, you will need 6.5 bands with a minimum score of 6.0 in each of the 4 segments of IELTS.
How much does a Canada study permit cost?
A Canada study permit costs CAD 150.
How long does it take to get a Canada study permit?
The processing time for a Canada study permit could go up to 90 days. The time taken will depend on the situation in the candidate’s home country.
How much does it cost to study in Canada?
The minimum average cost for an international student seeking an undergraduate course would be CAD 18,000. If you are pursuing a post-graduate degree, it might cost you CAD 17,000. Certain post-graduate courses cost as much as CAD 50,000.
Among additional costs is health Insurance which will come to CAD 600. The administration fee will come somewhere between CAD 150 and CAD 500. The fees required for a study permit for certain courses would come to CAD 250.
If you want a study permit, you should be having a minimum of CAD 10,000 at your disposal to meet your living costs. For a little more comfort, you should have at least CAD 15,000. To save money you can consider accommodation in the university over a rented stay. Saving money always benefits you as an international student in Canada.
International students can work for 120 full days while they study in Canada. This can be 240 half days too. This can help you earn extra money which you can use for other expenses.
What jobs are in demand in Canada?
The top jobs available in Canada are related to Software, IT, Finance, Engineering, Accounts, Hospitality, HR, Marketing, Sales, and Healthcare.
I am an Australian citizen. Do I have the option of studying in Canada?
Yes, you have the option of studying in Canada. The Work Holiday Program has offered many opportunities for students aged 18 to 30 years. Students can live and work in Canada on a holiday visa that has two years’ validity. Candidates with this visa also can study in Canada for six months.
Does Canada have affordable study options?
Studying in Canada is affordable. Students can live in Canada at a moderate cost, and they can also get medical insurance in the range of CAD300 and CAD800 per year.
Which course should I prefer in Canada?
The most popular courses in Canada are
- Business and Finance
- Computer Science and IT
- Media and Journalism
Health and Medicine
What are the highest-paid jobs in Canada?
The highest paid jobs in Canada and their approximate salaries are given here.
- Dentist – 75,000 CAD/year
- Lawyer – 135,000 CAD/year
- Physician/Doctor – 150,000 CAD/year
- Miner/Oil and Gas Driller – 77,250 CAD/year
- Registered Nurses – 74,000 CAD/year
Are Australian degrees recognized in Canada?
The degrees of Australia can be used worldwide as the reputation of the Australian education system is very high. Yes, Australian degrees are recognized in Canada. But only those degrees are considered that can be transferred to Canada easily. One of these degrees is physiotherapy, which is very popular in Canada.
Do I have the option to change my university from Australia to Canada?
Yes, you have the option of changing your university from Australia to Canada. You need to transfer your credits. You have to collect all the official requirements and syllabus and transfer them for the course you want to pursue.
Is there any need to show proof of funds if I apply for a study permit in Canada?
Yes, there is a need to show proof of funds. You need to show that you have sufficient money to use to reside in Canada, and you can pay your tuition fee. For a single student, per year expenditure is $10,000. If a family member is attached, his expenditure is $4,000. These costs are not related to Quebec as it has their own rules and costs.
Is there any difference between a study visa and a temporary permit?
International students having student visas are authorized to get an education in Canada. A temporary visa holder can enter Canada. An international student may also need to have a TRV depending on the citizenship of his home country. Students of different countries will get a TRV automatically if their student visa is approved.
Does an international student have the option to get a scholarship in Canada?
Yes, students can get a scholarship in Canada through private and government institutions. Students can also get a scholarship from the institute which they join to study.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.