Sponsor your Parents and Grandparents for a Canadian PR Visa
Here’s a visitor visa for Canada for parents of Canadian permanent residents/citizens. It allows them to arrive in Canada and stay with their children for a specific time. This is possible with a Parents Super Visa Canada offers.
Introduction to the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa
This visa also called “Super Visa” is a temporary resident permit. This permit is meant to enable parents and grandparents to stay in Canada for not more than two years per visit.
There’s a regular multiple-entry visa in this category, which is valid for up to 10 years. However, the visa holder can stay for not more than 6 months per visit.
Eligibility for the Parents Super Visa, Canada
The Canada Parent Visa is meant for parents and grandparents of Canadian permanent residents/citizens. The visa applicant must be considered fit for admission in Canada. They must also meet certain other criteria.
One of those criteria is that applicants must have a letter of financial support from their child/grandchild in Canada. Those PR/citizens in Canada must meet the criteria for minimum income.
The applicants for the Canada Parent Visa also need to get Canadian medical insurance and present proof of it. The insurance policy must meet the minimum requirements and give at least a year’s coverage.
Note that the visa process is not the same in case the parent/grandparent hails from a country, the nationals of which need a visa to enter Canada as a visitor.
Here’s a summary of the eligibility criteria for applicants. The applicant must:
- Be the parent/grandparent of a PR/citizen of Canada
- Have a letter signed by your child/grandchild who is inviting you to visit Canada that includes:
- The list and number of people in this person’s household
- A promise to provide financial support for the period of stay by a visit with the Super Visa
- A copy of the invitee’s Canadian PR/citizenship document
- Possess medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that:
- Has a minimum validity of 1 year from the date of entry in Canada
- Provides a minimum coverage of CAD 100,000
- Consists of proof of payment of medical insurance (no quotes are accepted)
Applying for a Canada Parent Visa
First, you must get the necessary documents ready for submission and the Super Visa application. These include:
- A letter of invitation that your child/grandchild who’s a PR/citizen of Canada issued that includes:
- An undertaking to provide financial support to you for the whole time you will be in Canada as part of your visit
- A copy of the PR/citizenship document of the person inviting you to Canada
- The list and number of people in the household of the person inviting you to Canada
- Proof that the household of your child/grandchild in Canada meets the minimum income requirement, which could be
- Employment insurance stubs
- T4/T1 or NOA (Notice of Assessment) for the most recent tax year
- Pay stubs
- Employment letter showing date of hiring and salary
- Bank statements
Proof that medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company has been paid for, and the insurance is:
- Valid for a minimum period of 1 year from the date of entering Canada
- Providing a minimum coverage of CAD 100,000
- A document that confirms that you have attended a medical exam for immigration
- After getting all documents together, you must apply for a Canada Parent Visa from outside Canada, either on paper or online.
- It’s recommended that you apply online for the following reasons:
- Applications filed online could be processed faster.
- There won’t be any mail delivery time or courier fees involved, and the application will be made instantly.
- You can avoid delays in processing delays. You can rest assured that an online application will be complete before you submit it.
- When you file an application online, it becomes easier to submit additional documents if needed.
- You can easily get application status updates in your online account directly.
- You won’t be required to submit your passport until it’s asked for.
Once you apply for a Canada Parent Visa, it takes a few weeks to process the application. The visa office determines the visa processing times.
How Y-Axis can help you?
Y-Axis, the prominent overseas migration consultant in Australia, helps you with
- Expert guidance in every step
- Free career counseling from professionals
- Course recommendation services for building a bright future
World-class coaching services for foreign languages, IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, GRE, GMAT, SAT, etc.
What's the difference between the Parent & Grandparent Super Visa and a Multiple Entry Visa?
Though both are Canada visitor visas, the difference comes with relation to the duration of stay and extensibility. With a Parents Super Visa Canada offers you can visit your children/grandchildren in Canada for not more than 2 years without the need for renewal.
The Parents Super Visa multi-entry visa gives you multiple entries for a period of not more than 10 years. Each entry into Canada with this visa can’t exceed 6 months.
How much does the Canada Parent Visa cost?
It costs CAD 100 per person to apply for a Canada Parent Visa.
What are the income requirements for Canada Parent Visa?
No. of people in the Family Unit
Min. gross income required (in CAD)
1 (your child/grandchild)
More than 7 people, for each extra person, add CAD 6,985
What's the difference between a Canada Parent Visa and a regular visitor visa?
If you are on a Canada visitor visa, you can spend only up to 6 months in Canada per visit. On a Canada Parent Visa, you can stay in Canada for up to 2 years per visit.
The 6-month validity of stay is applicable even for the eTA that’s issued to nationals from a visa-exempt country. The Super Visa Multiple-entry option also has a per visit limit of 6 months. Within 10 years you can make multiple 6-month visits.
What’s the difference between a parent/grandparent sponsorship and Canada Parent Visa?
A Canada Parent Visa is a visitor visa with which you can stay in Canada for only up to 2 years at a time.
Through parent/grandparent sponsorship your child/grandchild sponsors you and you can arrive in Canada with the status of a permanent resident. As a permanent resident, you can stay in Canada indefinitely as well as enjoy all the benefits of possessing a Canada PR visa like working in Canada and getting healthcare coverage.
Can I extend a Canada Parent Visa?
To extend the Canada Parent Visa, you must apply for a visitor record. With this, you can stay beyond the expiry date on your current status. The cost involved for extension is CAD 100 per person. The application for extensions has to be filed at least 30 days prior to the expiry of your current status.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.