Introduction – Why Australia immigration is so popular?
If you are contemplating Australia immigration you are up for accessing the great advantages Australia skilled migration has to offer. If you have experience of being active in Australia on an Australia work visa, it’s time you extend and enhance your prospects in the country by obtaining an Australia PR visa.
Australia is known for its economic and social stability, the democratic values the country upholds, and its cultural diversity. The country is home to a highly-skilled workforce. It’s also one of the world’s strongest economies.
The country is also special with its uniquely spectacular natural features and amazing landscapes.
Australia is a potential destination for skilled workers interested in Australia immigration, wanting to work in industries like IT, engineering, and healthcare. Those who have already arrived in the country on an Australia work visa will vouch for the abundance of opportunities to work in high-skilled industries.
Why settle in Australia?
When you decided to go ahead with Australia immigration, there could be specific reasons which could be one of the following:
- Australia is a stable economy with promising job opportunities in the IT, healthcare, service, engineering, and education sectors.
- The country has a highly effective healthcare system.
- Being an English-speaking country, immigrants from across the world find the language barrier absent in Australia.
- Australia implements a citizen-first policy that includes free healthcare and education.
- The climate of Australia is very favorable.
- It’s a beautiful country with cities that carry a multicultural vibe and a high quality of life.
- The country has a large natural heritage that includes the Great Barrier Reef and pristine forests.
Prominent cities in Australia
Australian cities are well-known for their unique properties. Here’s introducing the prominent ones to you.
The tourist attraction Barangaroo House is situated in Sydney. Sydney is a harbor city. The Vivid Sydney Festival is one of the best attractions of the place. You may not become an Australia PR visa holder for this, but being a permanent resident after Australia immigration surely keeps you close to this global attraction.
Melbourne is one of the most liveable cities in the world. It’s also one of the best Australian cities for international students. The city’s fine dining and attractive features make it a great attraction.
It’s a city that features a balanced presence of lifestyle and career/business opportunities. It’s a city that supports and nurtures innovation highly.
Perth is one of the most liveable cities in the world. The city is best known for its climate.
This city famous for its wineries also has a NASA base in it. Its outdoor activities like hot-air balloons are major attractions.
How to settle in Australia – Main Australia immigration pathways?
To become an Australia PR visa holder, there are many options including the following:
- Family stream PR visa
- Work stream PR visa
- Business/investor stream PR visa
Australia immigration through family stream
This stream applies to those seeking an Australia PR visa including:
- Parents, partners, children, or dependent relatives of an Australian citizen/ permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
- Carers who have to move to Australia to give long-term care for an approved relative
- Children being adopted or in the process of being adopted outside of Australia
Australia immigration through work stream
If you are a worker sponsored by an employer in Australia and hence eligible for an Australia work visa, this stream is for you.
Australia immigration through business/investment stream
If you are ready to buy an existing business or start a new business in Australia, you can immigrate to Australia through this stream.
The immigration process for Australia
There are 3 visa types that give you pathways to obtaining an Australia PR visa. Those 3 Australia immigration visas are:
- Skilled Nominated (Subclass 190) Visa
- Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) Visa
- Skilled Nominated or Sponsored (Provisional) (Subclass 489) Visa
The general eligibility requirements for an Australia PR visa are:
Points Requirement: Points determine your eligibility for an Australia PR visa You must score at least 65 points under the Points Grid. The below table describes the different criteria for scoring points:
|Age (25-32 years)||30|
|English proficiency (8 bands)||20|
|Work Experience outside Australia (8-10 years)||15|
|Work Experience in Australia (8-10 years)||20|
|Education (outside Australia) – Doctorate degree||20|
|Niche skills such as Doctorate or master’s degree by research in Australia||10|
|Study in a regional area||5|
|Accredited in community language||5|
|Professional year in a skilled program in Australia||5|
|State sponsorship (Subclass 190 visa)||5|
|Skilled spouse or de facto partner (Age, Skills & English language requirements to be met)||10|
|Spouse or de facto partner with ‘competent English’ (No need to meet Skills requirement or age factor)||5|
|Applicants without a spouse or de facto partner or where a spouse is an Australia citizen or an Australia PR visa holder||10|
|Relative or regional sponsorship (Subclass 491 visa)||15|
Age: Your age should be below 45 years to apply for an Australia PR visa.
Language Proficiency: You should have proof that you have a competent level of proficiency in the English language.
Skilled Occupation Lists (SOL): The applicant must choose an occupation that is available in the following skilled occupation lists. The list contains the occupations that are currently acceptable for migration to Australia. The occupations in the lists are updated regularly and reflect the changes in the Australian labor market. There are three categories of the SOL:
- Medium- and long-term Strategic Skills List
- Short-term Skilled Occupation List
- Regional Occupations List
Eligibility points requirement for an Australia PR visa
65 points is the minimum points required to be eligible for an Australia PR visa, the higher you score on the eligibility calculation, the brighter the chances of you being invited to apply for an Australia PR visa. Scoring anywhere from 80 to 85 points can make you eligible for a quicker permanent residence invitation to apply.
*Know your eligibility to Australia through Y-Axis Australia Immigration Points Calculator
The following Australian visas require 65 points for eligibility for permanent residence:
Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
This visa is for those invited foreign workers that possess the skills required by the Australian government. With the Subclass 189 visa, you can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.
No nominator or sponsor is needed.
You can apply for this visa only after being formally invited to do so.
You must be below 45 years of age to be able to apply.
Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)
Allows nominated skilled workers to live, work/study anywhere in the nominated state/territory in Australia as permanent residents.
Like Subclass 189, to be able to apply for Subclass 190 you must have received an invitation to apply.
With both Subclass 189 and Subclass 190, you must
- Score 65 on the points calculator
- Receive an invitation to apply
- Have an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List
- Be in possession of a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
English test scores will also be required.
How are the eligibility points calculated?
The 65 points to be attained are calculated based on the following criteria:
Age: You will obtain up to 30 points if your age is between 25 and 32 years.
English proficiency: A score of 8 bands in the IELTS exam can give you up to 20 points. However, the Australian immigration authorities allow applicants to take any of the English proficiency tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE. You can try to obtain the required score in any of these tests.
Work experience: Skilled employment outside Australia with more than 8 years of experience in the last 10 years will give you 15 points, lesser years of experience means fewer points.
|Skilled employment outside Australia||Points|
|Less than 3 years||0|
Skilled employment in Australia with 8 to 10 years of experience from the date of application will give you up to 20 points.
|Skilled employment in Australia||Points|
|Less than 1 year||0|
Education: Points for the education criteria depends on the educational qualification. If you have a doctorate degree from an Australian university or from a recognized university outside Australia you can obtain maximum points.
|A Doctorate degree from an Australian university or institute outside Australia.||20|
|A Bachelor’s (or Master’s) degree from an Australian university or institute outside Australia.||15|
|Diploma or trade qualification completed in Australia||10|
|Any qualification or award recognized by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation.||10|
|Masters by research or a Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution in the STEM fields||10|
Application by your spouse: If your spouse is also applying for the Australia PR visa, you will be eligible for extra points to your SkillSelect EOI. To get these 10 extra points, your spouse must:
- be aged less than 45 years
- have the basic competent level scores in English
- have your job occupation code appear in the same list of occupations as the primary applicant list
Applicants can gain points on the following criteria for spouse application. The table gives more details:
|Spouse has an Australia PR visa or is an Australian citizen||10|
|Spouse has competent English as well as a positive skill assessment||10|
|Spouse has only competent English||5|
Other qualifications: You can add to your points in case you meet any of the following criteria.
|Study in a regional area||5 points|
|Accredited in community language||5 points|
|Professional year in a skilled program in Australia||5 points|
|State sponsorship (Subclass 190 visa)||5 points|
|Relative or regional sponsorship (Subclass 491 visa)||15 points|
You will need at least 65 points to be eligible for applying for an Australia PR visa. If you have 80 points, it will be easier to get an invitation to apply for an Australia PR visa.
*Know your eligibility to Australia through Y-Axis Australia Immigration Points Calculator
What does Y-Axis do for you?
- Do you know how eligible you are to immigrate to Australia with all the credentials you have? We help you evaluate yourself with our tools to check your eligibility.
- We will help you collect and sort necessary records of information without missing out on even one that’s required to be submitted with the application.
- You need accurate and factual information and reasonable advice about Australia immigration. We will ensure you get it when required.
- You will no longer have to be in doubt if your application has been drafted perfectly with us to assist you in preparing the application for an Australia PR visa.
- As you need updates on the status of your application process and alerts about the submission of all information required, we provide you follow-up and assistance.
- You could need an English proficiency test score to qualify for applying for an Australia PR visa. We provide coaching services in English language tests like IELTS.
- We also provide you valuable tips to face your visa interview at an embassy
How long does it take to immigrate to Australia?
Becoming an Australian permanent resident takes an average of 5 months. It could extend to even 12 months depending on individual circumstances. It will take roughly 3 months if you have all the required skills and eligibility scores.
What are the requirements to migrate to Australia?
According to the Australian government, you should have an Australian visa to enter the country. The general requirements for migration to Australia are:
You must nominate an occupation on the appropriate skills list as you are making a skilled migration.
- You must be under 45 years of age.
- You must meet the relevant English language criteria.
- You must obtain the points score required for eligibility.
- You must meet Australia’s health requirements.
How many points do you need to immigrate to Australia?
The minimum score for Australia’s general skilled immigration has been increased from 1 July 2018, to 65 points.
How can I get an ACS assessment done for 2 different job codes for migrating to Australia?
ACS assessment can be got done under diverse occupation codes in ANZSCO. Nevertheless, it’s always advisable to be careful while submitting the second application under different occupation codes in ANZSCO. This is if the applicant has already received a positive ACS report under one of the occupations assessed under ACS.
Applicants must also be in a position to demonstrate claims with evidence. It’s that they are also performing the roles of the new occupation under the ANZSCO code. Additionally, they also fulfill the requirements specified by ACS.
Moreover, it’s worthwhile to take an opinion from the ACS prior to filing an application under the new occupation. Applicants can link the second application to the previous application or submit a new application.
How can I apply for an Australian visa?
It’s very important that you be aware of the complete procedure of applying for an Australian visa. Here’s the procedure for the most common kind of Australian visas which are:
- Tourist visa
- Business visa
- Family/Friend visa
Consult with us for the detailed procedure for applying for each of these visa types.
How many points do you need to immigrate to Australia?
What is the processing time for visa applications?
The processing time for a visa application depends on various factors including how you fill the application and submit the required information records along with it.
What are the eligibility requirements to apply for a permanent residence visa to Australia?
- You need at least 65 points in the Points Grid
- You must be aged below 45 years
- You must have a competent level of proficiency in English
- You must be of good health and character
- You must have completed skills assessment by certifying authorities in Australia
- The occupation you are into must be one nominated in Australia’s Skilled Occupation List
What are the benefits of having a PR visa?
- You are free to live and travel anywhere within Australia
- You are eligible to pursue higher studies and can apply for certain educational loans
- You are eligible for social security benefits after 2 years as a permanent resident
- Your children born in Australia will naturally become Australian citizens
- You can sponsor the permanent residence of your relatives provided they meet certain criteria
- You have the right to apply for government jobs
- You have the right to travel to New Zealand and can even apply for a visa there
Is Australia accepting immigration applications?
Yes, the Australian immigration department is open and is accepting applications from immigration candidates.
Are Australia Skill Assessment bodies accepting applications?
Skills assessment bodies are accepting applications for assessment from visa applicants. Skills assessments like the VETASSESS and Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) have declared that they will continue assessments from visa applicants through their online portal. Skills assessment is a crucial part of the General Skilled Migration program to migrate to Australia.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.