Australia PR Visa. Become an australia PR, let your life flourish in australia
Do you want to immigrate to Australia? Here’s how to go about it.
Who is an Australian Permanent Resident?
- Australian Permanent Residents hold migrant or permanent resident visas.
- They don’t have the same status as Australian citizens, though they have the option to become one once they meet the minimum residency requirement.
- You can be an Australia PR by immigrating to Australia holding the status of work, family, refugee, or humanitarian migrant.
What’s your visa?
You must find the right visa that’s applicable to your credentials to become an Australia PR.
Family-Based Permanent Residency
The family-based PR is available for:
- Dependent relatives
Work-Based Permanent Residency
The categories available for migrant workers are:
Employer-Sponsored Workers: An Australian employer sponsors a foreign national to work in Australia.
General Skilled Migration: Skilled foreign nationals whose skills are valued in Australia. However, they aren’t sponsored by Australian employers.
Skill Select: Foreign workers having certain skills that Australia needs.
Doctors and Nurses: Australia PR meant for doctors and nurses on a need-only basis.
New Zealand Visa
- Meant for New Zealanders giving them the option to live and work in Australia permanently without an Australia PR visa.
- New Zealand citizens are granted a temporary SCV visa.
- SCV visa holders don’t get the same rights as an Australian citizen or PR.
- However, New Zealanders may apply for an Australia PR visa and the option to become citizens of Australia.
Business/Investment stream PR visas
These are visas that are meant for business people and investors who are willing to start a new business in Australia or undertake an existing one.
Resident visa pathway
Eligible retirees can use this pathway to get permanent residency in Australia. Long-term residents who made their contributions to and are well-settled in the community can benefit from this pathway.
Former Resident visa
This visa caters to certain permanent former residents.
Global Talent visa
Individuals with a record of achievements that are exceptional and outstanding and are internationally recognized can utilize this visa for Australia PR.
Refugee and Humanitarian visas
These categories of visas are aimed at people who left their home country to escape persecution.
Requirements to apply for an Australia PR visa
The requirements depend on the visa that you choose to apply for.
Applying for Australia PR visa
Application for Australia PR visa can be filed online on the DHA website. The application is available to download too.
What you get to do as an Australian permanent resident
Holding an Australia PR visa, you generally can:
- work and study in Australia
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- enroll in Medicare, the national health scheme of Australia
- sponsor relatives who are eligible for Australia PR
- apply for loans in Australian banks to buy property
- apply for citizenship in Australia (subject to eligibility)
- take part in free classes for the English language conducted by the Adult Migrant English Program
- travel in and out of Australia for as long as your travel facility allows
- work in New Zealand
You may also become qualified for other benefits and services offered by the Australian government. If you hold an Australia PR visa, but not residing in Australia, it will affect your eligibility for the above-said benefits.
What you can’t do as an Australian permanent resident
Unlike an Australian citizen, as a permanent resident in Australia, you aren’t allowed to:
- have an Australian passport
- take student loans
- vote in Australian Government elections except if you enrolled as a British subject before January 26, 1984
- join the Australian Defence Force
- go back to Australia from overseas without a valid travel facility (no automatic right of entry to Australia)
- get ongoing work in the Government of Australia
COVID-19: I am an Australian PR. Can I leave and return to Australia?
If you plan on leaving Australia and returning, you will have to confirm the travel facility period available on your permanent visa.
Is it easy to get an Australia PR Visa?
Within one year you will get Australia’s residency with a master’s degree, strong English score and work experience on Australia’s skills list. The minimum points to apply for Australia PR Skill Select 189 (points-based) or 190 (State Sponsored Visa) is 65 in 2020-2021.
If you have the required points, you will be selected, and you will get a PR even before you fly to Australia.
Applicants with 65 + points receive a relatively quick invitation to apply. You should expect to be receiving the PR within 5-8 months of applying.
The best way to acquire an Australia PR always depends on the visa system you want to apply for. Each immigration program has its own specific eligibility requirements, conditions, and selection criteria.
In addition, the government sets the migration planning levels and fixes a number of places under each migration program. In 2019-20, the government allocated about 70 percent of the immigration places to the Skilled Migration program.
How many points are required for Australian PR?
The applicants of Australia PR through a Skilled Visa are required to score at least 65 points for filing an EOI. It must be noted here that scoring the minimum points of 65 doesn’t assure an invite for Visa application. As per the latest data, the points needed for Skilled Visas remain high. As a result, several individuals now opt for sponsorship from a State.
As a matter of fact, applicants need at least 70 to 75 points to receive an invite for Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa application. Applicants have various methods to enhance their score – State Sponsorship, Spouse Skills Points and the English Test.
What are the pathways to obtain Australia PR?
There are 3 pathways through which applicants can obtain the Australia PR:
Australia PR through the Subclass 482 Temporary Skill Shortage Visa
The Government of Australia has launched a new Visa replacing the Subclass 457 Visa from March 2018. It is the Subclass 482 Temporary Skill Shortage Visa.
The 482 or TSS Visa is divided into 2 streams:
- STSOL – Short-Term Skilled Occupations List: If you qualify for only the STSOL, then you do not have a transition pathway to Australia PR.
- MLTSSL – Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List: If you qualify for the MLTSSL, then you have the pathway for transitioning to Australia PR after 3 years.
Australia PR through the Skilled Migration Visa
To apply for Australia PR through this pathway, you must select the appropriate occupation. You will also need the required IELTS bands score and Skills Assessment results. This is a points-based system. Thus you will have to score the minimum required points which are 65 now. Nevertheless, higher scores will only enhance your chances of getting the invitation to apply for the Visa.
Australia PR as Partner of Permanent resident or Australian Citizen
You can apply for Australia PR as a Partner Visa holder. This is as a Fiancé, De facto partner or Spouse of Australian Permanent resident or Citizen or qualified New Zeeland citizen. The PR Visa, in this case, is offered after 2 years of applying for the Partner Visa. This is based on the current status of your relationship.
How much do I need to invest in Australia to get PR?
Below is the investment required for Australia PR under the Investment Visa streams:
Business Investment Visa: Business owners or successful investors must be willing to invest at least AUD 1.5 million for 4 years
Significant Investor Visa: Individuals who intend to benefit Australia must make an investment of at least AUD 5 million for 4 years
How many years do you have to live in Australia to be a citizen?
Applicants who have obtained their Australia PR after July 1, 2007, must fulfil the below requirements for obtaining Australian Citizenship:
- Must have resided in Australia legally for a minimum of 4 years
- Must have resided in Australia for a minimum of 12 months as PR holders
Why is it easy to get a PR visa under the Skilled Migration program?
This is because skilled migrants bring with them high educational qualifications and higher employment potential. This holds the promise of a better contribution to the economy. Migrants who are sponsored by employees have more potential to bring the desired results.
With the Skilled Migration stream having the greatest number of places, this should be your option when applying for a PR visa. You have better chances under this stream, provided you meet the eligibility requirements and score the required points. Moreover, the Skilled migration stream is a points-based system and is the most popular immigration program to get a PR visa.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.