US Dependent Visas

US dependent visa

Various visa holders are permitted to bring their families to the United States under the US dependent visa category. Students, professionals, entrepreneurs, and others can bring their dependents to the US under various visa categories. The following are some of the most common dependent visa categories:

  • F2 Visa: This visa is for dependents of F1 visa holders in the US to study. F2 visa holders cannot work or study in the US
  • H4 Visa: This visa is issued to family members of H-1B visa holders and allows visa holders to work and study in the US
H4 Visa

This is the most popular category of dependent visa issued in the USA

An H4 visa is a non-immigrant dependent visa. The visa does not confer permanent status, but it allows the holder to live, study, and work in the US.

Eligibility requirements

The applicants of the visa can be:

Spouse of the H type visa holder

Children under the age of 21 whose parent is a H visa holder

Validity of H4 visa

The sponsor’s visa, often known as the major applicant, determines the visa’s validity.

The H form visa-holding spouse or parent usually pays for the visa. The H4 visa becomes void when the sponsor’s visa expires.

H4 visa holders can do the following:
  • Get a driver’s license
  • Have opportunities to study in the US
  • Qualify for financial services, such as banking and an H4 visa loan
  • Can work part-time, full-time, or not at all.
  • The holder of an H4 visa is free to start any type of business.
  • Even if the H4 visa holder does not seek jobs, he will still be eligible for EAD.
Documents required
  • US visa interview appointment letter
  • A valid passport
  • Copy of the primary visa holder’s passport
  • Photograph of the primary visa holder and applicant together
  • Passport-sized photograph of the applicant
  • Confirmation page of the online DS-160 form
  • Visa fees receipt from the relevant bank
  • A copy of the primary visa holder’s form I-797
  • A letter from the primary visa holder’s employer stating the nature of the relationship between the primary visa holder and employer
  • Pay stubs from the primary visa holder’s current place of work
  • Original marriage certificate
  • Original birth certificates of children
F2 visa

The F2 visa is a non-immigrant dependent visa that allows immediate family members of F1 student visa holders to visit the country. The spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 are considered dependents.

Eligibility requirements
  • Must be the spouse of an F1 student visa holder.
  • Must be the dependent child (under 21 years and unmarried) of an F1 visa holder.
  • Applicant must have sufficient financial resources to support his or her family in the United States.
F2 visa holders cannot do the following
  • Work in the US
  • Study in the US
  • Cannot have a social security number
Documents required
  • Passport (both original and photocopies)
  • Visa application confirmation (DS-160)
  • A photograph conforming to U.S. visa rules
  • Birth certificate for dependent children
  • Marriage certificate for spouses
  • Visa fee payment receipt
  • Applicant’s I-20 form
  • Copy of F1 visa holder’s I-20 form
  • Applicant’s bank statements, tax records, and employment documents as proof of financial stability
Application process for dependent visas
  1. Get the form I-20 (for F-2 visa)
  2. Submit the Form DS-160
  3. Pay the visa fees
  4. Submit the required documents
  5. Schedule the visa interview
  6. Submit the required documents
  7. Attend the visa interview
What is the processing time for dependent visas?

The processing period for a US Dependent Visa varies based on the situation. This visa necessitates the use of an H-1B visa. The process should take no more than a week assuming the H-1B certification is in place. It will take longer if the USCIS has to verify additional information. It could take anywhere from 1 to 2.5 months in this situation.

What are the documents one should carry for the dependent visa interview?
  • Evidence of marriage that includes Wedding invitation card, Wedding albums, Original Marriage certificate
  • Copy of the Passport/s including those that have expired
  • Letters for verification of employment
  • Fee receipt for the US Visa application
  • Tax returns
  • Pay stubs
  • Form i797A, H-1B primary from
  • Documents of primary H-1B spouse
  • Form i129, H-1B application copy
  • H-1B LCA copy
  • Birth certificate in original if the Dependent Visa applicant is below 14 years
  • Successes
    1 million
  • Counseled
    10 Million+
  • Experts
    Since 1999
  • Offices
  • TEAM
  • CRM
    WORLD'S #1
    #1 CX
speak to a counsellor
Get started

We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.

I accept the terms & conditions.
Follow Us

We want to hear from you!