Apart from being a naturally blessed nation, Switzerland has a reputation for being a top choice among international students as a study destination. They love to study in Switzerland for the following reasons:

Switzerland offers a world-class education system

Education in Switzerland maintains high standards and the methods of teaching practiced are focused on active learning. Education is affordable in Switzerland. The emphasis on qualitative education serves the students well too.

There’s an overwhelming presence of international students in Switzerland

The fact is that a large chunk of the student population of Switzerland are foreigners. They love to study in Switzerland because of the moderate prices charged for courses, options offered for multiple scholarships, and of course, a globally reputed education system.

The economic stability of Switzerland and its virtues

Switzerland has one of the highest standards of living in the world. Its stable economy offers advantages like some of the highest salaries offered compared to other nations. Also, the country has a very low rate of unemployment which was at 2.6% in December 2021. This means that international students who arrive to study in Switzerland on a Switzerland student visa can look forward to getting job opportunities that can set their careers soaring with high pay and prospects.

Switzerland is safe

Switzerland is among the top 10 safest countries in the world.

High quality of life is a feature of Switzerland

Switzerland ranks high on factors that determine life quality, namely

  • Basic human needs – sanitation, medical care, shelter
  • Opportunities – tolerance, freedom of choice, individual rights
  • Wellbeing – life expectancy, education, access to technology

Multilingualism is found widely in Switzerland

The 4 languages spoken in Switzerland are French, German, Romansh, and Italian. But English-speakers have no reason to worry because English is also widely spoken in this country.

Switzerland gives you access to the rest of Europe

After studies, it’s easier to access Europe from Switzerland in case you are inclined to explore the rest of Europe for opportunities in employment and other reasons.

List of top universities in Switzerland

  • Bern University of Applied Sciences
  • Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
  • ETH Zurich
  • EU Business School
  • FFHS Swiss Distance University of Applied Sciences
  • IFM Business School
  • International University in Geneva
  • Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts
  • University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland (FHNW)
  • University of Applied Sciences and Arts Western Switzerland
  • University of Basel
  • University of Bern
  • University of Fribourg
  • University of Geneva
  • University of Lausanne
  • University of St. Gallen
  • University of Zurich
  • USI Università della Svizzera italiana

Switzerland Student Visa for Non-EU/EFTA students

If you belong to a Non-EU/EFTA country, it will be necessary for you to obtain a Switzerland student visa. You can apply for the visa at the Swiss embassy/consulate near you in your home country. When you apply for the visa, you have to attach the following documents along with the application:

  • CV
  • Proof that you have paid the school fees
  • Proof that you have the financial means to support yourself while you study in Switzerland
  • A certificate from the school/institution you are going to attend
  • A commitment in written form that you will depart from Switzerland once the study program is complete

You may be required to attend a language test to prove that you will comprehend what is taught in the institution.

Types of Switzerland Student Visa

There are 2 types of student visas available for international students coming to Switzerland.

  • C Visa – It’s a visa valid for a short time. It allows you to live in Switzerland for a period of time not exceeding 3 months. If you are joining seminars, summer schools, and language schools this type of visa is best for you.
  • D Visa – It’s a visa valid for a long time. It’s suitable for you if you are migrating to Switzerland to reside, study, or work in Switzerland. The Schengen visa, which is a D-type visa for long stays, is granted to international students for a period of 1 year. It could be extended too if required.

Steps in applying for a D Visa

  • Get an acceptance letter from the university you are trying to join.
  • Set up an appointment with the Swiss embassy/consulate in your home country near you. It’s recommended to set an appointment 6 months before starting your studies in Switzerland.
  • Submit necessary documents in English, German, or French language. In case of any other language is used, get a certified translation done.
  • Satisfy the student visa requirement for Switzerland as given next.

Student visa requirement for Switzerland

  • Application for a type D visa (3 forms, filled as well as signed)
  • 4 passport-size photographs
  • A valid passport with 3-month validity remaining after the planned term of stay in Switzerland
  • A Swiss university’s Letter of Acceptance
  • Proof that you have paid the fees for registration and tuition (copy and original)
  • Proof of your having enough financial means to cover the cost of living in Switzerland for the period of study in Switzerland
  • Proof of scholarship/loan (letter of an institution citing that every expense for your study in Switzerland will be met by the loan or scholarship)
  • Your CV
  • Letter of motivation
  • A written commitment that you will leave Switzerland after completion of your studies

How Y-Axis can help you


Y-Axis, the prominent overseas study consultant in Australia helps you with

Which permit do I need to opt to study in Switzerland?

If you choose to study full-time, a long-term permit (over 90 days, National visa) is required. A long-term permit form must be submitted in person at a Swiss embassy or consulate in your country.

The residency permit is valid for one year or for the duration of your studies. You can renew your permit until you complete your studies.

What is the processing time for Switzerland study permit for more than 90 days’ stay?

The processing time is within 15 weeks in most cases.

As an international student, can I get jobs in Switzerland?

International students have ample employment opportunities in Switzerland. They can stay up to 6 months after the completion of their course and seek employment in Switzerland. The country has a very promising job market. You could get the opportunity to get employed in Fortune 500 companies.

Can I apply for PR in Switzerland after my studies?

Yes. Once international students get a work visa in Switzerland, PR is available to them. If you are a foreign national, you must work for 10 years in Switzerland. Only then will you get a Permit C PR with which you will be able to settle in Switzerland. However, exceptions also exist when international students may be able to obtain a Swiss PR after 5 years. In case you have proficiency in one of the official languages of Switzerland or have good relations with the local population, it becomes easier to get a Swiss PR.

Is IELTS required to apply for a Switzerland student visa?

It’s not mandatory to go through an IELTS test to apply for a Switzerland student visa. But in case the Swiss university you are joining requires an IELTS score, it will become an obligation for you to take the test.

Is Switzerland safe?

Switzerland has one of the highest standards of living among the nations of the world. For international students, the country is comparatively safe as it Is for every foreigner who arrives in this country to live and work. It must be reassuring for you to know that Switzerland is listed among the top 10 most peaceful countries in the world.

  • Successes
    1 million
  • Counseled
    10 Million+
  • Experts
    Since 1999
  • Offices
  • TEAM
  • CRM
    WORLD'S #1
    #1 CX
speak to a counsellor
Get started

We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.

I accept the terms & conditions.
Follow Us

We want to hear from you!