Types of work permit
Employer-specific work permit
This work permit has certain conditions laid out under which you will work in Canada. The conditions will be as to:
- Which specific employer you will work for in Canada
- The time period you can work in Canada
- Where in Canada can you work (in case this is applicable)
In the case of this type of work permit Canada issues, the Canadian employer must complete some steps. At the end of fulfilling those steps, the employer will give you a copy of LMIA or a job offer that you have to attach with your application for work permit Canada offers.
Open work permit
If you are migrating under an open work permit, you can be employed with any Canadian employer. The only exception is when the employer is:
- Listed as ineligible owing to failing to comply with the conditions laid out by the government, or
- Regularly offers works that classify as adult services.
To be eligible you must:
- submit proof to an officer that you will go away from Canada once your work permit meets its expiry
- not pose a danger to the security of Canada
- not work on a plan to be employed with an employer who offers adult services on a regular basis
- show that you have sufficient money to take care of self and the members of your family while staying in Canada and returning home afterward
- be in good health and have a medical examination if required
- provide the officer any other document they ask for in order to prove that you are eligible to enter Canada
- obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (a police clearance certificate may be required)
- not work on a plan to be employed with an employer listed as “ineligible” owing to failure to comply with the conditions laid down by the authorities
As you apply from outside Canada, you will need to meet certain visa office requirements.
|Not sure if you are eligible to migrate to Canada? Why not try the self-evaluation tool for free by clicking here?|
How to Apply
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, most applicants are required to apply for a Canada work permit online.
Are you looking for more information and expert guidance on applying for a Canada work permit? You are welcome to approach Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 immigration & visa company. Click here to connect with us.
If you are looking for more interesting articles on Canada immigration, try these titles: