Sweden Student Permit

Sweden has always opened its doors to international students from around the world. The degrees offered by the universities in Sweden are comparable to some of the best universities in Europe.

Like most European countries Sweden also follows the Bologna system of education. This ensures the desired educational standards for academic degrees and their quality assurance. This agreement between European nations makes university degree compatible all over Europe and on an international level as well.

Language Requirement to study in Sweden

Though international students can enroll for courses taught in English, it is beneficial if they learn the Swedish language. This will help them communicate with the local community and get familiar with the local culture.

Study programs in English are available for postgraduate and PhD courses. English language test scores accepted by universities in Sweden:

  • Cambridge

Tuition expenses vary based on the university and discipline you choose if you are a non-EU/EEA student. A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree will cost between 7,500 and 25,500 EUR per year. MBAs, for example, can cost as much as 31,000 EUR per year.

Student accommodation and living costs

Accommodation costs like rental rates are higher in bigger cities than in smaller cities. When choosing to study here students must consider living costs that include food, transportation, and social activities. These costs will come up to approximately 750 Euros including rent.

Student Permit requirements

Non-EU nationals require a study permit to study here. There are two types of study permit in Sweden based on the duration of the study program:

  • Permit type C: Short-stay Permit valid for a period not exceeding 90 days
  • Permit type D: This is also called the ‘residence permit for studies’ and is given for study programs that are more than six months long.
  • Valid passport
  • Completed visa application form
  • Proof of having the required financial resources to cover your living expenses during your course of study which includes bank statements
  • Copy of medical insurance policy even if the university or college offers the insurance cover
  • Certificate of acceptance from the educational institution in Sweden
Working while you study in Sweden

Students from non-EU countries can work here during their course if they have a work permit. This requires a job offer from the Swedish employer. The employer can submit for the permit on your behalf at the Swedish Migration Agency.

Do I need a residence permit for study in Sweden?

If you are not an EU citizen and will be studying in Sweden beyond 90 days, you will need a residence permit. Do note that you must have a residence permit issued to you before your arrival in Sweden.

What is the processing time for residence permit for study in Sweden?

Most of the permits are processed within 1-2 months.

Can I take my family along when I go to Sweden for study?

A family member of someone with a residence permit for higher studies in Sweden can get a residence permit for the same duration.

  • Successes
    1 million
  • Counseled
    10 Million+
  • Experts
    Since 1999
  • Offices
  • TEAM
  • CRM
    WORLD'S #1
    #1 CX
speak to a counsellor
Get started

We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.

I accept the terms & conditions.
Follow Us

We want to hear from you!