As you know, Singapore is a growing financial hub in Asia. So, if you are wondering what makes the idea to work in Singapore a great one, we have reasons most others give. Here they are:
- Singapore is one of the most globalized economie of the world, sharing highly valued qualities like high wages, low unemployment rate, and a nourishing environment to work in.
- The average salary in Singapore is S$5,783 per month as of January 2021. Positions like Software Engineers and teachers can earn quite handsomely. Highly skilled workers are welcomed to migrate to Singapore.
- Filing tax returns is an easy task in Singapore and online returns submission can be literally done within a minute.
- Obtaining a work/residence permit is very easy in Singapore.
- Obtaining a permanent residence is also a hassle-free, easy task in Singapore.
- As English is the main professional language, language will never stand in your way of work.
- If you are into setting up a start-up business, it literally takes under a week to start one.
- Singapore is well-known for its low crime rate and zero tolerance for corruption.
- The country is politically very stable.
So, if you are pumped up with some motivation right now, we will give you a basic introduction to getting a Singapore work permit.
First things first!
You can apply for a Singapore work permit using WP Online. If you want to check the application status, you can use the eService.
The application for a work permit can only be made by an employer who wants to hire you or an employment agent. The fee to be paid while applying is S$35. The same has to be paid when the pass gets issued.
The application will be processed within a week except when more information has to be submitted.
The duration of the work permit is 2 years in usual cases. This term could be shorter based on:
- The term of validity of the security bond; the work permit will be valid till 2 months before the expiry of the security bond
- The validity of the passport of the worker the employer is applying for; the work permit will be valid 1 month before the expiry of the worker’s passport
The steps in the work permit application we will see now are mostly carried out by the employer/employment agent in Singapore.
Submitting a work permit application
Here are the steps involved in submitting a Singapore work permit application:
- Obtain consent in writing from the worker to apply for a work permit.
- Log in to the WP Online and fill the application.
- Pay the fees of S$35 for each application.
- Check application status after a week of application.
- Upon approval of the application, do the following on the WP Online portal:
- Print the IPA (In-Principle Application) letter
- Print the work permit application form
Preparation for the arrival of the worker
Prior to their arrival
- Submit entry applications for the worker. The workers will need it to enter Singapore.
- Buy a security bond for workers who aren’t from Malaysia.
- Buy the following insurance cover (if applicable) for the workers
- medical insurance
- Work injury compensation insurance
- Make sure that the workers meet the mandatory requirements viz. SHN (Stay Home Notice) and COVID-19 tests.
After their arrival
- Send the workers for medical examination by a doctor registered in Singapore, within 7 days of SHN completion and 2 weeks of arrival.
- Send them to a Settling-in program if applicable.
- Print and complete the security bond form.
These steps will be followed by getting the work permit issued within the stipulated time. This will be followed by the registration of the worker within a week of issuing the work permit.
If you enjoyed reading this article, here are more titles to read: