Work In UK

Down Arrow
Down Arrow
Down Arrow

I accept the Terms & Conditions

Team Y-Axis
Don't know what to do ?.

Get Free Counseling

Why work in the UK?

  • Average Annual Gross Salary In Uk Is £35,000 To £45,000.  
  • Average Work Hours Per Week: 36.6
  • Paid Leave Per Year: 28 Days
  • Relaxed Policies For Skilled Workers

Get a UK work visa

Discover the UK’s potential to offer you the best of job opportunities in industrial sectors like banking & finance, healthcare, IT, banking, and construction. Plan to work in UK by procuring a work visa that suits your professional requirements.

The UK work visa is a visa pathway that is highly encouraged to skilled workers around the world considering the UK is one of the strongest economies even after separating from the EU and going through the COVID-19 pandemic.

Understand the features, processes, and procedures related to work in UK. Learn what it takes to acquire a work visa and what are the possibilities in store for you to become a permanent resident in the UK. Let’s talk more about the UK work visa and the pathways that lead you to the opportunity to work in UK.


About the UK

Here are some interesting facts about the UK.

  • The UK is in fact a group of 4 countries namely Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and England.
  • The largest country in the UK is England.
  • Heathrow in London is the biggest airport on the continent of Europe.
  • London is the capital city of the UK. It’s also the biggest city in the UK.
  • The Windsor Castle in the UK is the world’s largest inhabited castle.
  • The oldest monument in the world, the Stonehenge, is in the UK.
  • The UK has a diverse and multi-ethnic population with people from across the world coming to settle there.
  • The UK is home to more than 130 universities. Cambridge and Oxford are the most prestigious among them.
  • The Pound Sterling, UK’s currency, is one of the world’s strongest currencies.
  • The UK is the third-largest economy in Europe after Germany and France.
  • The biggest UK companies are HSBC, AstraZeneca, British Petroleum, and Unilever.


Top reason for choosing UK immigration?


It’s a big decision to live and work in UK. Before you plan to take a work visa in the UK, learn the best reasons why it’s recommended to take a UK work visa.

  • Access to a high-standard healthcare system known as NHS (National Health Scheme). You will get free or heavily subsidized medication in the country.
  • UK’s public schools provide free education. Anyone who’s a legal resident in the UK can send their children to a UK public school.
  • Owing to the long history of UK immigration and the multitude of immigrants who arrive in the country, the UK population has diversity as its salient characteristic.
  • The UK sources skilled foreign workers and offers them a work visa in significant numbers.
  • The country ensures that the interests of the employees are safeguarded. Any full-time worker in the UK is eligible to get at least 20 days of annual leave every year.
  • It’s easy to travel from the UK to the rest of Europe, especially with budget airlines to fly you around.
  • Skilled workers won’t find it hard to move to the UK. If you have a sought-after skill, your migration to the UK is easier than otherwise.

Prominent cities in the UK

Before moving to the UK on a work visa, learn about the most important cities in the country. Here they are:

  • London – It’s the capital city of both England and the UK. Landmarks like the Tower Bridge, Big Ben, and Trafalgar Square are situated in this city.
  • Birmingham – It’s England’s second-largest city. It’s also one of the UK’s best destinations for shopping and conventions.
  • Manchester – It’s the UK’s third-biggest city. It’s well-known for music, football, and its cultural scene.
  • Leeds – It’s a city well-known to be a hub of higher education and business. It’s a city that gives you an amazing display of classic Victorian architecture.
  • Oxford – It’s England’s famed university town. The city is home to the world-famous University of Oxford.

Types of UK work visa:

Exceptional talent visa:

This Exceptional talent visa is for highly skilled migrants who can be referred to as exceptional talent or exceptional promise in their field. This visa lasts up to 5 years and four months and can be extended up to 5 years.

Entrepreneur visa:

This visa is for starting your own business in the UK. With this visa, you can even run multiple companies in the UK. Although, you can’t work for anybody else with this visa.

Skilled worker visa:

If an individual has a skilled job offer in the UK, then a Tier 2 General visa is the best route in the UK. The employer must be registered as a licensed sponsor to receive a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), as you will need this for your visa application.

The visa timing is generally for the specific duration on the certificate of sponsorship plus one month. But it shouldn’t exceed more than five years and 14 days.

You can acquire a UK skilled worker visa by targeting occupations currently experiencing a shortage of labour skills.

Intra-company Transfer visa:

This visa is for employees who are transferred abroad to work in the UK branch of their business. It allows the individual to fill the overseas post, start working in the UK, and bring family members with them.

Youth Mobility Scheme visa:

This all–trade visa will allow you to study, work, and set up your own business or travel, combining features of all four tiers 1, 2 and 4 but with more restrictions. For this visa, an individual has to be within the 18-30 age range.

You can live and work in the UK for a maximum of 2 years. There is no option for a visa extension.

Temporary worker visa:

This visa is for Government Authorized Exchange, which allows an individual to work in the UK as long as they have a sponsor but for a short-term purpose only. Once the sponsorship certificate is offered, you can work in the UK, even study and have a second (temporary) job, and bring family members for short-term purposes.


Top occupations in demand

Here are the many options for a work visa offered by the UK. Check out some of the UK work visa options.

  • IT and Software
  • Engineering
  • Teaching
  • Nursing
  • Sales & Marketing
  • Healthcare
  • Hospitality
  • Human Resources Management
  • Accounting and Finance


Top IT skills demand in the UK

The demand in the tech world is changing and the IT and tech skills have become a necessity for companies due to the latest trends. The skills that are in demand in the UK are as follows:


Most in-demand programming languages

  • C++
  • SQL
  • JAVA


For the front end technologies, JavaScript is being used. There are many businesses that are using these programming languages to make their [processes streamlined across all the systems.




DevOps is combination of tools, cultural philosophy and practices that is used to automate the process between software development and it teams. This is the fastest growing skill in the UK and is in high demand.


Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning


Artificial Intelligence is also an emerging technology and it is in high demand in the UK for different types of jobs mentioned below:



Cloud Computing


Storage is always a necessity in the computer world and cloud computing has enhanced the computing power and data storage. Now the cloud computing market has become a fast growing industry and the cloud computing professionals are in high demand.




UK has faced many cybercrime attacks in the recent years. Cybersecurity professionals are in high demand to counter these attacks.




The CRM skills have been increased by 14 percent since last year. This has helped in providing jobs to more than 7.2 million professionals globally.


Top IT Designations in the UK



Job Title

Average starting salary
Dev Ops Engineer £40,000
Software Engineer £35,000
Python Developer £35,000
Data Scientist £31,000
Software Developer £27,000
Cyber Security Specialist £25,000
Mobile Application Developer £20,000


Top Industry in UK – Tier 2 Sponsor


Industry Cloud Companies
Information Technology 4074
Retail 2714
Manufacturing 2372
Management 2362
Hospitality 2064
HR & Admin 2024
BFSI 1505
Engineering (Construction) 807


List of UK Visa Sponsored Employers (Y-Directories) Tier – 2



Industry Count
IT 5641
BFSI 2651
Engineering 1264
Healthcare 2712
Hospitality 983
Sales & Marketing 1247
Education 2629
Automotive 435
Oil & Gas 488
FMCG 321
Accounting 510
Restaurants 1411
Pharmaceuticals 415
Chemicals 159
Construction 1141
Biotechnology 311
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing 954
Telecommunications 250
Non-Profit/Volunteering 883
Machinery 655


Industry wise jobs on the Rise 2022 – UK – LinkedIn


Industry Designation Most Common Skills Top Hiring Locations Remote Jobs Availability
Information Technology Machine Learning Engineer Deep Learning, TensorFlow, Machine Learning, Python London, Cambridge, Edinburgh 18.10%
Data Scientist
Software Engineer
Data Engineer
Site Reliability Engineer  Terraform, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS) London, Edinburgh, Newcastle upon Tyne 41.30%
DevOps Consultant
System Administrator
Salesforce Administrator Administration, Implementation, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) London, Leeds, Sheffield 28.20%
Salesforce Consultant
Customer Relationship Management Analyst
Business Analyst
Computer Vision Engineer Computer Vision, OpenCV, Image Processing London, Edinburgh, Cambridge 26.50%
Software Engineer
Machine Learning Engineer
Data Engineer

Aache, Spark, Hadoop, Python

(Programming Language)

London, Edinburgh, Manchester 27.40%
Data Analyst
Business Intelligence Developer
Back End Developer Go (Programming Language), Git, Amazon Web Services (AWS) London, Manchester, Glasgow 43.80%
Full Stack Engineer
Web Developer
Procurement Import Specialist Freight Forwarding, Customs Regulations, International Logistics London, Felixstowe, Manchester, Dover 3.40%
Import Manager
Import Clerk
Freight Forwarder
Import Export Specialist
Sales & Marketing Business Development Representative Product Management, Product Strategy, Agile Methodologies London, Glasgow, Oxford 21.10%
Strategy Associate
Vice President of Products
Director of Product Management, Chief Product Officer, Vice President of Product Strategy, Head of Product, Product Team Manager
Human Resource Chief Human Resources Officer Succession Planning, Culture Change, Talent Management, Employee Engagement, London, Belfast, Manchester 13.70%
Talent Management, Chief People Officer, Vice President of Human Resources, Director of HR Operations
Diversity and Inclusion Manager
Talent Acquisition Specialist Recruiting, Sourcing, Interviewing Greater Manchester, Leeds 23.00%
Talent Acquisition Manager, Recruiter, Delivery Consultant, etc.
Education Career Counsellor Coaching, Career Development, Training Delivery London, Birmingham, Manchester 20.60%
Career Advisor
Writing/ Publishing & Media Communications Content Designer User Experience (UX), Content Strategy, Web Content Writing London, Edinburgh, Manchester 21.60%
Content Coordinator, Brand Designer
Copywriter, Editor, Content Manager
Pharma/ Healthcare Laboratory Operations Manager Life Sciences, Molecular Biology, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Glasgow, London, Manchester 2.00%
Laboratory Supervisor
Laboratory Assistant
Medical Laboratory Scientist
Laboratory Operations Manager
Environmental Science/ Health & Safety Sustainability Manager Sustainable Development, BREEAM, Sustainability Reporting, Environmental Awareness London, Manchester, Bristol 8.30%
Public Health Officer
Project Manager,
Public Health Specialist


  Top 5 Industries in UK (General)



Industry Employment number
Supermarkets in the UK 1,288,724
Hospitals in the UK 852,944
Charities in the UK 836,335
Temporary-Employment Placement Agencies in the UK 708,703
General Secondary Education in the UK 695,038


Top Companies in UK (Fortune 500) 



1 Walmart $5,59,151
2 Amazon $3,86,064
3 Apple $2,74,515
4 CVS Health $2,68,706
5 UnitedHealth Group $2,57,141
6 Berkshire Hathaway $2,45,510
7 McKesson $2,31,051
8 Amerisource Bergen $1,89,893.90
9 Alphabet $1,82,527
10 Exxon Mobil $1,81,502


Long-term work visa options

Skilled Worker visa


A Skilled Worker visa is for you if you want to move to the UK and do a job deemed eligible with an approved employer. This visa is a replacement for the earlier Tier 2 (General) Work Visa.

To be eligible for this work visa, you have to

  • work for an employer in the UK who has received approval from the UK Home Office
  • possess a sponsorship certificate from your UK employer with information about the job role that has been offered to you
  • be employed in an occupation that’s on the list of eligible occupations
  • be paid a minimum salary commensurate to the type of work you do
  • be able to speak, write, read, and understand English at a level B1 on the CEFR scale

The validity of the visa is 5 years after which it has to be extended. You may even apply for settling in the UK permanently.


Health and Care Worker visa


This visa allows medical professionals to arrive and stay in the UK and do jobs deemed eligible with the NHS, a supplier for NHS, or in adult social care.

To be eligible for this work visa, you have to

  • be a qualified nurse, doctor, health professional, or adult social care professional
  • work for a UK employer who has received approval from the Home Office
  • work in a health or social care job considered eligible by the UK government
  • have a sponsorship certificate from your UK employer with information about the role you have been offered in the UK
  • be paid a minimum salary commensurate to the type of work you do

A confirmed job offer must be acquired before applying for the visa. The validity of the visa is 5 years after which it has to be extended. You may even apply for settling in the UK permanently.


Intra-company visas


This work visa comes in handy when you want to move to stay in the UK and engage in employment in a job deemed eligible at your employer’s branch. This visa could be either of the 2 as given below:

  • Intra-company Transfer visa – It’s for those arriving in the UK being transferred by your employer to a role.
  • Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa – It’s for those arriving in the UK with the purpose of participating in a graduate training program for a specialist or managerial role.

To be eligible for this category of visas, you have to:

  • be an existing employee of an organization that’s been approved by the Home Office as a sponsor
  • possess a sponsorship certificate from your employer with information about the job role you have been offered in the UK
  • be employed in a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations
  • be paid a minimum of £41,500 for an Intra-company Transfer visa or at least £23,000 it happens to be Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa

Duration of Intra-company Transfer Visa is the shorter of the following:

  • 5 years
  • 14 days in excess of the time given on your sponsorship certificate
  • the period of time that takes you to the maximum total stay allowed

Duration of Intra-company Graduate Trainee Visa is the shorter of the following:

  • 12 months
  • 14 days in excess of the time given on your sponsorship certificate
  • the length of time that takes you to the maximum total stay allowed


Short-term work visas


Temporary Work – Charity Worker visa

This visa is for you if you want to do unpaid work of a voluntary nature for a charity.

Temporary Work – Creative Worker visa

This visa is for you if you have a job offer in the role of a creative worker in the UK.

Temporary Work – Government Authorised Exchange visa

This visa is for you if you

  • Have a sponsor
  • Want to arrive in the UK for a short period to get work experience/training, for research, for Overseas Government Language Program, or for a fellowship via an approved government authorized exchange scheme
  • Meet other requirements for eligibility

Temporary Work – International Agreement visa

You are eligible to apply for this work visa if you will be available for a contract to work in a job covered by international law/treaty while in the UK. E.g., you will be

  • working in a diplomatic household in the role of a private servant
  • working for a foreign government
  • giving a service contractually as a service supplier or an independent professional

Youth Mobility Scheme visa

You can apply for this visa if you

  • Are aged between 18 and 30 years
  • Are willing to live and work in the UK for not more than 2 years
  • Are a national of certain countries including Australia or have certain types of British nationality
  • Meet other criteria

With this visa, you can live and work in UK for not more than 24 months.

Graduate visa

With this visa, you can live and work in UK for not less than 2 years after you have completed doing a course in the country successfully.

To apply for this work visa, you must be in the UK. Besides that, you have to meet the following criteria:

  • your current visa is a student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa
  • you earned a bachelor’s/PG/other eligible degrees from the UK for a minimum period of time with your student visa/ Tier 4 (General) student visa
  • your education provider (university/college) has declared that you have successfully completed your course of study

The visa has a duration of up to 2 years. If you possess a Ph.D. or other doctoral qualification, the duration will be 3 years. The visa cannot be extended. To extend your stay you must switch to another type of visa.

Requirements to Apply for UK Work visa:

  • You must have the certificate of sponsorship
  • Financial stability
  • Current passport and travel history
  • Certifications proving your English Skills
  • Police verification
  • Other supporting documents

Steps to apply for a UK Work Visa:

To apply for the UK work visa, you can follow the steps given below:

Step 1: Check your eligibility with the Y-Axis UK points calculator

Step 2: Choose the type of UK work visa

Step 3: Arrange the requirements for the Visa

Step 4: Apply for the UK work visa

Step 5: Await the status of your Visa

Step 6: Fly to the UK

Processing time of UK work visa:

You can apply for this Visa three months before working in the UK. The starting date will be mentioned in the certificate of sponsorship you will receive from your UK employer.

You will decide on your Visa within three weeks of your application. With the UK government including more occupations in the Shortage Occupation List, the processing time is expected to be reduced for many applicants.

Processing fees for UK Work visa:

Here is the list of UK work visas:

Type of visa  Application fee
Skilled Worker Visa  £625 to £1,423, depending on your situation
Start-up visa  £378
Graduate Work Visa  £715
Youth Mobility scheme £259
Global Business Mobility Worker Visa £259
Temporary Worker Visa  £259


How Y-Axis can help you

Y-Axis is the immigration consultant of choice for serious applicants for UK immigration. Our thorough process and end-to-end support ensure you take the right action at every step. We help you with:

Talk to us to evaluate your chances and make an informed decision.

Sign up for a free expert consultation

Down Arrow
Down Arrow
Down Arrow

I accept the Terms & Conditions

Team Y-Axis
Don't know what to do ?.

Get Free Counseling

Looking for Inspiration

Explore what Global Citizens have to say about Y-Axis in shaping their future

Frequently Asked Questions

How long an Individual can work in the UK as an Australian?
What are the Eligibility criteria to work in the UK?
What jobs are in demand in the UK?
What is the highest paying job in UK?
What are the documents an individual will need to apply for a UK work visa?
What is the Skilled Worker visa?
Since when was the migration route of Skilled Worker Visa accepting applications?
What's the Global Talent visa and how can I be eligible to apply for it?
I want to apply for a UK work visa to work abroad. Which work visa should I apply for?
Who is authorized to assign a certificate of sponsorship to me to apply for a UK work visa?
How can I determine whether the job offer from the UK is coming from an employer who’s an approved sponsor?
How can I get a job in the UK with no experience?
What documents do I need to work in UK?
Do I require sponsorship to work in UK?
Who can sponsor me to work in UK?
For how long are the work permits granted?
If my work visa is in process, can I start working?
Do non UK residents pay National Insurance?
Can I work without NI number?
Can you get paid without a National Insurance number?
How do I get National Insurance card?
How do I prove my NI number?
What documents do you need to apply for a National Insurance number?
Who has right to rent in UK?
Can I work in the UK without a National Insurance number?
How much is the National Insurance?
How long does it take to get NI number in UK?