Netherlands Immigration from Australia

The Netherlands has a vibrant entrepreneurial scene as well as an excellent educational system. In addition, the Dutch have a strong work-life balance and high-quality social security. These are reasons enough to move to the country.

Migrating to Netherlands

In the Netherlands, there are numerous different legal documents that confer temporary or permanent immigration rights to their holders: short stay visas, temporary residence permits, provisional residency permits, and EU Blue Cards. There are a variety of reasons why people choose to live in the Netherlands. As a result, it’s critical to select the purpose that best suits your needs, as this will determine which permit you will have to apply for.

Since Netherlands is part of the EU and EEA, citizens of Schengen countries do need a visa or permit to stay, work, study or live in the country. However, citizens of other countries will have to apply for a visa or permit.

However, if you are a close relative (spouse, partner, grandparent, or child under the age of 21) of an EU/EEA/Swiss person living in the Netherlands (but are not an EU/EEA/Swiss national), you have the right to live and work in the Netherlands without a permit.

For other non-EU/EEA citizens who intend to come to Netherlands for less than three months can apply for a short-stay visa.

In other cases, if you wish to stay in the Netherlands for more than three months, you should apply for a provisional residence permit (MVV) to enter the country and you will need a residence permit to stay in the country.

Depending on your stay’s purpose, you’ll need to apply for a residency permit. Each Dutch permission has its unique set of rules, requirements, limitations, and validity period.

For immigrants wishing to work in Netherlands, the employer obtains a work visa. The IND Netherlands now offers the GVVA, a single permit that serves as both a residential and a work permit, and is typically provided to employees. The employer applies for this permit which is valid for three years.

Those wishing to migrate can also approach a sponsor, who is a person or an organization who is interested in seeing them come to the Netherlands. An employer, educational institution, or family member could be among them. The sponsor may act on your behalf, submit residence permit applications, and file objections or appeals if the application is rejected.

Permanent residency

Depending on your nationality and circumstances, you may be eligible for permanent residence after living in the Netherlands for five years.

Citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA – EU plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway), and Switzerland, as well as their family members, are eligible for European permanent residency, regardless of nationality.

Permanent residency is also available to non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens. Depending on the standards they meet, they are considered for either long-term resident-EC status or normal Dutch permanent residency.

Eligibility requirements for non-EU/EEA residents

Non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens may apply for a permanent residence permit if they meet the following criteria:

  • Have resided in the Netherlands for at least five years
  • Hold a valid residence permit for a non-temporary stay
  • Sufficiently integrated into Dutch society and can speak, read and write Dutch
  • You must demonstrate that you have enough long-term income. A single person, for example, must have a monthly gross income of €1,152.60 (including vacation pay), however these amounts are reviewed twice a year.
  • You must not endanger public order or national security in any way.
Documents required
  • Copy of your valid passport
  • Proof of income such as bank statements
  • A civic integration diploma or comparable diploma

It will take about six months to process your PR application.

How can you migrate to the Netherlands as a highly skilled person?

You can come as a highly skilled migrant, or you can apply for an orientation year for highly educated people if you have an EU Blue Card.

There are some rules that everyone must follow. You and your company must also meet the following requirements:

  • You have a job contract with a company or a research institute in the Netherlands. This employer is a recognized sponsor by the IND. Recognized employers are listed in the Public Register of Recognized Sponsors
  • You will be able to support yourself
  • The agreed-upon wage is in line with current market conditions.

You’ll need a provisional residence permit (MVV) or a residence permit if you want to stay in the Netherlands as a highly skilled migrant.

Guest lecturers, scientific researchers, and medical trainee specialists are considered as highly skilled migrants.

  • Successes
    1 million
  • Counseled
    10 Million+
  • Experts
    Since 1999
  • Offices
  • TEAM
  • CRM
    WORLD'S #1
    #1 CX
speak to a counsellor
Get started

We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.

I accept the terms & conditions.
Follow Us

We want to hear from you!