Welcome to your free and quick wizard

Check your Eligibility


Your age group

Data Science

Help us understand your goal so we can recommend the right solution

Data Science

Talk to an expert


Evaluate your partner’s chances to immigrate to Australia with a partner visa, using a partner calculator

If you are a permanent resident in Australia, you can help your spouse/partner become a part of the population of Australia, the country that offers a high-quality lifestyle, career opportunities, and more. Check out the eligibility of your relatives to migrate to Australia with an Australia Partner Visa using Australia Partner Calculator.

The Australia Partner visa allows the common partner/spouse of an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen to immigrate to Australia. A Partner Visa can be a temporary visa (Subclass 801) or a permanent one (Subclass 820). If you are an Australia PR holder or citizen, you can calculate your partner’s eligibility using the partner calculator. You will be able to find out your partner’s chances of moving to Australia.

About Australia partner visa and eligibility criteria

Subclass 820 – Partner Visa (Temporary)

If you are a permanent resident/citizen in Australia, you can help your de facto partner/spouse and their children to migrate to Australia on this temporary visa.

While applying for the visa, you as the sponsor must take up the responsibility to support the visa holder as well as their children who are granted the Partner Visa. This will be a binding obligation for the first 2 years after the visa is granted.

You will be responsible to provide accommodation and financial assistance to the Partner Visa holder.

Eligibility criteria

To become a sponsor, you must be at least 18 years of age. In case you are under 18 years of age, if you are married to the applicant for the Partner Visa, your parent/guardian could also sponsor your partner.

With a Partner Visa, your partner/spouse can:

  • work in Australia
  • reside in Australia until a decision is made on the Subclass 801 (Permanent Partner (Migrant)) visa or that application is withdrawn
  • travel to and from Australia any number of times
  • study in Australia (without government support)
  • Enroll in Medicare, Australia’s public healthcare scheme
  • attend free classes for the English language provided by the Adult Migrant English Program in case your partner/spouse have the eligibility

Subclass 801 – Partner visa (permanent)

With this visa, you can sponsor your de facto partner or spouse to become a permanent resident in Australia if you are an Australia PR visa holder or citizen. This visa is applicable only to those who already have Subclass 820.

Eligibility criteria

To apply for this Partner Visa, you must be the same person who had sponsored your partner/spouse while applying for Subclass 820. Once your partner/spouse gets the permanent Partner Visa, he/she can live, study, and work indefinitely in Australia.

While applying for the Subclass 801 Partner Visa (Permanent), you must still be maintaining the spousal/partner relationship with the applicant.

Points assigned to your partner for a partner visa

If you are an Australia PR/citizen, you can sponsor your de facto partner/spouse for a Partner Visa who will be assigned points as mentioned below.

10 points for partner skills

Your partner will be granted 10 points for meeting the following criteria:

  • Under 45 years of age (at the time the ITA for the Partner Visa is issued)
  • Competent English (IELTS 6 or equivalent)
  • Completion of suitable skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for their nominated skilled occupation
  • Be in an eligible occupation

5 points for partner’s English skills

Competent English that’s required of your partner could be any one of the following:

  • IELTS – Minimum 6 for each 4 components
  • TOEFL iBT – Minimum 12 for listening, 21 for writing, 13 for reading, and 18 for speaking
  • PTE – Minimum 50 for each 4 components
  • Cambridge C1 Advanced test – Minimum 169 in each of the 4 components
  • OET – Minimum B for each of the 4 components

How Y-Axis can help you

Y-Axis guides/counsels you as you apply for an Australia partner visa and any other temporary visa.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is known as a De Facto Partner?

Your partner is a de facto partner if:

  • You both aren’t married to each other legally.
  • You both live together.
  • You both keep the commitment to share your life.
  • You have a true relationship and have the trust of continuing.
  • Families do not relate to you both.
  • Your relationship with your de facto partner has existed for a minimum of 12 months before you applied for the visa.

Your partner can be of the same or different sex.

Who is not considered for a Partner Visa?
  • Marriages within a prohibited degree of relationship
  • Polygamous marriages
  • Siblings
  • Parent and child or grandparent and grandchild
  • Underage marriages