New Canada immigration pathways to help students stay on

Extend your stay in Canada as an international graduate

Two new immigration pathways are in the making in Canada. With them, Canada immigration will make it possible for the country to rope in international student graduates skilled enough to hasten Canada’s economic recovery post-COVID.

These new policies will be implemented between May 6, 2021, and November 5, 2021. It’s necessary that the candidates live outside Quebec and intend to continue to do so.

The first pathway is meant for all recently graduated international students having a Canadian credential. Through this temporary program, Canada is aiming at welcoming 40,000 applications for Canada PR. Once the program achieves this target before November 5, 2021, this pathway will stop accepting applications.

The second pathway is reserved for international graduates who are French speakers. There’s no cap on immigrant intake for this pathway. The dearth of French-speaking skilled workers living in a Canadian province outside Quebec will be solved with this pathway.


Immigration candidates must have graduated from a DLI in Canada. They must have graduated not earlier than January 2017. Their educational credential could come from a Canadian university, Canadian college, Canadian technical/trade school, or a Quebec CEGEP.

What are valid university credentials?

  • A Bachelor’s degree,
  • An Associate’s degree,
  • A Master’s degree, or
  • A Doctorate

What are valid college credentials?

  • Diploma,
  • Degree,
  • Attestation, or
  • Certificate

The credentials must be proof of attending a study program that’s at a minimum of 8 months in duration. The combined duration of the credentials must be 16 months long at the minimum.

DVS or AVS must follow a study program that’s a minimum of 900 hours long. Each combined credential must satisfy the criteria of the program. They must have been completed not earlier than January 2017.

Graduates of a technical/ trade program holding a diploma, certificate, degree, or attestation may also be eligible. Here’s the list of skilled trade occupations listed by NOC that the credentials mentioned above lead to:

  • Major Group 72: Electrical, industrial, and construction trades
  • Major Group 82: Supervisors and technical occupations in agriculture, natural resources, and related production
  • Major Group 73: Trades in maintenance and equipment operation
  • Major Group 92: Manufacturing, processing, and utility supervisors as well as central control operators
  • Minor Group 633: Bakers and butchers
  • Minor Group 632: Cooks and chefs

Candidates are required to be employed in Canada with a valid permit. Otherwise, candidates must have work authorization when the application is received. They also require a CLB of 5.

Besides these requirements, candidates must be legal residents in Canada as well as meet requirements to be granted admissibility.

The requirements are the same as already mentioned for those who want to immigrate through the pathway for French-speaking/multilingual candidates. The only addition is that they will need a French language skill of an intermediate level in all the language skills. These include listening, reading, writing, and speaking.

According to NCLC, candidates trying to get Canada PR via the French/multilingual pathway must have a French language skill level of 5.

If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to Canada, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.

If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…

Canada gets the number one spot as the best country of the world!


DVS – Diplomas of Vocational Studies

AVS – Attestations of Vocational Specialization

NCLC – Niveau de compétence linguistique canadiens

PR – Permanent Residence/Permanent Resident

DLI – Designated Learning Institutions

CLB – Canadian Language Benchmark

About author View all posts


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

twelve − 9 =