How to get the Student Visa of Australia?

How to get the Student Visa of Australia

To study in Australia, you need to get a Student Visa.  

To get an Australian Student Visa, you need to prove to the Dept. of Home Affairs that you meet the following: 

  • GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) requirement 
  • English skills requirement 
  • Financial provision 
  • Health and character requirement 

What is a GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant)? 

Australia introduced the GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) requirement in November 2011. The applicant should be able to show a genuine intent of temporarily staying in Australia for studies. 

To determine whether or not you meet the GTE requirement, the Dept. of Home Affairs considers the following: 

  • Circumstances in your home country 
  • Value of the course that you have chosen for your future 
  • Potential circumstances for you in Australia 
  • Your immigration history 

Some applicants may also need to attend a visa interview at the nearest Embassy or Consulate. 

Completing the Student Visa application 

International students need to apply for the Subclass 500 (Student Visa) online. 

You need to have an offer letter or a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) before you can apply for a Student Visa. The offer letter should confirm that you have been accepted into a course that is registered under CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institution of Courses). 

The COE is given in the form of an on-line code. You will need to enter this code on your Student Visa application. 

What are the Student Visa requirements? 

Student Visa requirements are as follows: 

Financial requirements 

You should be able to show proof that you have sufficient funds to meet your tuition, living and travel costs in Australia.  

From 24th October, the living expenses that you need to show is AUD 21,041 per year. You will need to show extra if your spouse and dependent children accompany you to Australia. 

You may also show proof that your parents or spouse will support your education. Their income should be at least AUD 62,222 for a single applicant. 

English proficiency requirement 

International students who are not from an English-speaking country need to prove their English proficient. The score required will depend on the type of course that you have applied for. Acceptable English language tests are: 

  • IELTS  
  • PTE  
  • TOEFL iBT  
  • CAE (Cambridge Advanced English) 

Health requirements 

You will be asked to take a medical test to prove that you are in good health.  

Except for Norway and Belgium, students from all other countries need to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover. 

Character requirement 

You have to undergo a criminal record check to prove that you are of sound character. You will also need to submit a Police Clearance Certificate. You may also be asked to complete a Character Statutory Declaration Form. 

Documents needed 

For a Student Visa, you need to submit documents as given in the document checklist issued by the Dept. of Home Affairs. 

Typically, you need to submit the following documents: 

  • Student Visa application form (Form 157A) 
  • Visa application fee which is approximately AUD 620 
  • Copy of your passport (Some international students may be asked to submit their original passport) 
  • Offer letter or Certificate of Enrolment 
  • Proof of funds 
  • Proof of health insurance cover 
  • English proficiency test results 
  • Police Clearance Certificate 
  • Photographs, as specified 

You have to create an online account and apply for a Student Visa through the ImmiAccount application system. 

The processing time for a Student Visa is roughly 4 weeks. 

Y-Axis offers a wide range of visa services and products for aspiring overseas immigrants including Australia General Skilled Migration Program via RMA, Australia Skilled Regional Visa, Australia Temporary Skilled Work Visa, and Australia Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485. We work with Registered Migration Agents in Australia.  

If you are looking to Visit, Study, Work, Invest or Migrate to Australia, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Consultant.  

If you found this blog engaging, you may also like… 

Do you know of the increase in Student Visa costs of Australia? 

About author View all posts

Anshul Singhal

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

four + fifteen =