Get ready to work in Austria, learn to get an Austria work visa permit

work in Austria

If you are not yet familiar with the opportunities to work in Austria, here’s a chance to get learn about them. But before we look into it, let’s see why Austria is a good place to work.

  • Austria has world-class working conditions. The country is ranked 9th in the world for cooperation between employees and employers.
  • Top-class healthcare is provided by medical professionals as well as institutes that provide state-of-the-art medical services.
  • Austria is a stable, prosperous, and thriving country with a dynamic and innovative economy.
  • The levels of wages are high in Austria. When it comes to international comparison of wages, Austria stands out as it’s of countries like France, Sweden, and Denmark.

Working in Austria

Third-country nationals are offered the opportunity to live and work in Austria for the long term. It comes as a residence permit that enables them to stay in Austria on a permanent basis. This permit is known as the Red-White-Red card.

The Red-White-Red card

The Red-White-Red card has 6 subcategories. It includes a Red-White-Red card for:

  • Skilled workers in shortage occupations
  • Graduates who completed their studies at a university in Austria and have got a suitable job offer
  • Very highly qualified workers who have long professional experience handling senior management positions
  • Other key workers who are skilled professionals not classified in other categories but have secured a job offer in Austria
  • Self-employed key workers
  • Start-up founders

With the Red-White-Red card of all the above types, you can immigrate to Austria and reunite with family there.

Documents to submit to apply for Red-White-Red card

  • Application form
  • Passport
  • Passport photo as per EU criteria (less than 6 months old)
  • Documents related to work:
    • Updated curriculum vitae
    • Binding job offer (signed by both parties)
    • Proof of education or qualifications
    • Language certificates if needed
    • Proof of professional experience (references/recommendations, etc.)
  • Employer documents:
    • Job description
    • Declaration of the employer
  • Personal documents:
    • Certificate of Birth
    • Police clearance certificate
  • Fees: €160

When it comes to getting a Red-White-Red card, you are required to score on 5 categories of criteria namely:

  • Qualifications
  • Professional experience gained after your studies or training in your specialized area
  • English language skills
  • German language skills
  • Age

Note these criteria:

  • You must score at least 55 points.
  • You will receive points for your education/training only when it fits your job offer.
  • Only fully completed years of your professional experience will be considered to assign points.
  • The language certificates submitted mustn’t be older than a year.

The Red-White-Red card is a residence permit as well as a work authorization that’s granted as part of a contract of employment between you and your Austrian employer. Third-country nationals can work in Austria indefinitely with this card. However, its length of validity varies depending on the reason for the issue. In usual cases, it’s valid for 24 months.

C Visa and D Visa for gainful employment

If you are planning to work in Austria for up to 90 days, you can apply for a C Visa. If you are planning to work for 91 to 180 days you can apply for a D Visa.

To apply for this visa, you have to submit:

  • Visa C/Visa D application form
  • A valid travel document
  • Copy of the contract or preliminary contract with an Austrian employer, to prove financial stability
  • Passport-sized photo
  • Sufficient travel health insurance
  • Accommodation proof
  • Proof of ties to your home country (viz. university admission or family still staying in home country)

Other work visas

  • Settlement permit – Researcher for nations of third countries with a Ph.D. degree with plans to conduct scientific work in Austria.
  • Settlement permit – Artists for self-employed and conventional artists willing to work full-time and earn in Austria.
  • Au Pair visa for those aged from 18 to 28 arriving in Austria to work as an au pair for not more than a year.

If you need more information on arriving in Austria to work and work visa options available, feel free to connect with Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 immigration & visa company. Click here to connect with us.

Enjoyed reading this article? Here are a few more suggested articles for you:

The highest paying jobs in Canada in 2022 and beyond

About author View all posts


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

five + fourteen =