Canada is inviting parents and grandparents through the Parents and Grandparents Program. The immigration Levels Plan of Ottawa is inviting the newcomers. The plan is to invite people from 2022 to 2024.
|Year||Number of people|
- Inviting newcomers for the period of 2022 to 2024
- Newcomers invited through PGP program
*Willing to migrate to Canada? Y-Axis is here to assist you in all the steps.
About PGP Program
IRCC has found a suitable format to invite people through PGP. It has started a lottery system in which the sponsors have to submit a form called interest to sponsor. The time of submitting this form is one month.
A draw is conducted, and the selected sponsors are invited to apply for bringing their parents and grandparents. Canada immigration has not stated any information about accepting applications for PGP in 2022.
*Check your eligibility about migration to Canada through Canada Immigration Points Calculator.
Reunification of families
Ottawa has given top priority to reunifying families, and in its plan, invitations to parents and grandparents are also included. Ottawa has plans to give permanent residence to the family members.
Process of Parents and Grandparents Program
IRCC uses the lottery system to invite parents and grandparents through the PGP program. Interest to sponsor form has to be submitted by the citizens and the permanent residents. The sponsors and the sponsored are given the time of 60 days to submit full application.
Eligibility for sponsoring parents and grandparents
The sponsors have to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- The age of the sponsors should be 18 years or above.
- The sponsor should be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- The sponsor should live in Canada.
- The sponsor should have enough money to support the sponsored, whether they are parents or grandparents.
- Sponsors have to agree that they will support the sponsored for 20 years. The time will start from the day when permanent residence status has been given to the sponsored.
- The sponsors have to reimburse any social assistance that the government has provided to the sponsored.
Sponsors living in Quebec
Sponsors who are living in Quebec have to fulfill the criteria related to Quebec Immigration sponsorship. They can do so after IRCC approves that they can become sponsors. The assessment of sponsors’ income is done by the Ministry of Immigration, Francisation and Integration. The assessment also requires an undertaking to be signed.
*Check your eligibility to Quebec through Quebec Immigration Points Calculator.
Who can be sponsored?
- The parents and grandparents must be related by blood or adoption.
- The spouses or common-law partners of parents and grandparents are also eligible even if there is any case of divorce.
- Siblings of the sponsors are also eligible, but they have to qualify as dependent children.
- If there is sufficient financial support, more than one person can become sponsors.
Parents and Grandparents super visa
If sponsored do not become successful in PGP program, they can go for the Parents and Grandparents super visa. This visa will permit the sponsored to visit Canada for up to two years. Multiple entries are allowed through this visa for up to ten years.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like …