Spain Student Permit

Spain has for many years been considered by international students as an ideal study abroad destination. Spain has several popular colleges and universities and offers many choices for international students.

If you are from a non-EU nation you will need to submit for a study permit if you wish to study in Spain. You can submit for a permit after you have received the letter of confirmation from the university that you have been selected for.

Language requirements to study in Spain

Though international students can enroll for courses taught in English, it is beneficial if they learn the Spanish language. Spanish is not required for admission to universities in the country.

But most universities require a good command in the Spanish language for few programs. They need to have passed the Spanish language test. The main Spanish test accepted is the DELE test (Diploma de Español Como Lengua Extranjera).

If you have decided to pursue a course in the English medium, you must show your proficiency in the language by passing any of these tests: IELTS or Cambridge Advanced

Student Permit for Spain

The permit you will have to submit for will be based on the duration of your course. The details are as explained below:

  • 180-days D type Permit – if duration of course is between three and six months
  • Study Permit (type D) – if duration of course is more than six months

The Type D Permit makes you eligible for the Residence Card for foreign students (TIE). This is a temporary permit which allows you to stay in the country for the duration of your course. The validity of TIE is for a maximum of one academic year and you can renew it every year till you finish your studies.

You cannot submit for a Study Permit when you are in the country on a short stay permit. You can submit for the permit only from your home country.

After you arrive in Spain on a study permit, you cannot change the type of permit. The permit is valid only if you have obtained it from a Spanish embassy or consulate.

  • Duly filled form
  • Passport which is valid for the intended period of your stay
  • 2 passport size photos
  • Certificate of acceptance from the Spanish university
  • Information about the study program such as the name of the degree and hours of study per week
  • Health insurance valid for the whole period of your studies
  • Proof of having the required financial resources to cover your living expenses during your course of study
  • Medical certificate
  • Proof of having paid the fees
  • Criminal record certificate to prove you have no cases
Working while you study

Students from non-EU countries can work part-time during their course and full-time during vacations.

Non-EU/EEA students must meet the following requirements in order to work in Spain:

  • Submit for a work permit (the employer should make the form).
  • Have a secondary source of financial support (the part-time work income should only be complementary).
  • Keep in mind that you can only work full-time for three months at a time (and not during university term time, when you are supposed to be studying).
Which visa do I need to study in Spain?

A student from India will require the Type D student visa for studying in Spain.

What is the ideal time to apply for my Spain student visa?

Apply well in advance. Ideally, you should aim at applying at least 3 months before your study program commences in Spain.

What is the basic step-wise process for applying for Spanish student visa?

STEP 1: Download the National Visa Application Form.

STEP 2: Complete the National Visa Application Form.

STEP 3: Gather the required documents.

STEP 4: Submit the application with the documents at the Embassy of Spain in New Delhi.

Do I have to attend interview for student visa to Spain?

Yes. You will have to appear for a visa interview.

  • Successes
    1 million
  • Counseled
    10 Million+
  • Experts
    Since 1999
  • Offices
  • TEAM
  • CRM
    WORLD'S #1
    #1 CX
speak to a counsellor
Get started

We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.

I accept the terms & conditions.
Follow Us

We want to hear from you!