Netherlands Student Permit

Netherlands is a good study abroad destination for international students owing to its learning system which is problem-based. The courses here train students to analyze and solve problems. The universities here offer more than 1500 study programs and short courses.

The country offers more than 400 different courses and study programs in a program called the International Education in English, which attracts more than 4200 participants every year. This program is meant for post-graduate students or those with some prior professional experience. These courses are conducted in English and are practice oriented. Most of these courses lead to a diploma.

Courses that the country is reputed for include agricultural sciences, astronomy, medicine, civil engineering and management studies.

Language requirement to study in Netherlands

Study programs are available in English  for postgraduate and PhD courses. More than 90% of inhabitants here speak the English language. A minimum level of English language proficiency is required to study here. The test scores accepted by universities in Netherlands:

Student accommodation and living costs

Accommodation costs like rental rates are low when compared to other European countries. When choosing to study here students must consider living costs that include food, transportation, and social activities. This will come to 870 Euros per month.

Working with a residence permit

International students with a residence permit can work in Finland provided it is related to the course they are doing. A student can work for 25 hours in a week during the program and full-time during vacation breaks.

Student Permit requirements

You will need a Provisional Residence Permit (MVV) – an entry permit (or provisional residence permit) for both long-term and short-term study courses.

If you are staying in the country for more than three months, apart from your entry permit you will have to submit for a residence permit (VVR). This is like a study permit that permits you to stay for the duration of your course. It can be extended if required for an additional three months.

Requirements include:
  • Valid passport
  • Duly filled form
  • 2 passport size photos
  • Birth certificate
  • Academic transcripts
  • Proof of having the required financial resources to cover your living expenses during your course of study
  • Copy of travel and medical insurance policy
  • Certificate of acceptance from the educational institution
  • Complete study plan – explain why you are interested in studying the chosen subject area and how and why it is related to your prior studies
  • Proof of having paid the permit fees
  • Complete study plan that explains why you are interested in the subject and its relation to your prior studies
Working while you study

Students from non-EU countries can work here during their course if they have a work permit. The employer can submit for the permit on your behalf. International students can work up to ten hours a week during their course and full-time during vacations.

Do I need a residence permit if I want to study in the Netherlands?

A residence permit is needed if you plan on studying in the Netherlands beyond a period of 90 days.

You must apply for a residency permit in addition to your entry visa (VVR). This is similar to a study visa, which allows you to remain in the country for the duration of your course. This visa can be extended for an additional three months.

How to get a residence permit for study in the Netherlands?

Form for a residence permit is to be made by the University that you plan on attending in the Netherlands. If your admission is successful, the institution will submit a form on your behalf to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service [IND] for a residence permit.

If this does not occur, you may contact them directly. You may submit for an entry permit at a local embassy or consulate in your country after the university’s request is accepted.

The MVV can be collected after three months.

The time it takes to process your form is normally one month, but it varies depending on your nationality and other factors.

The processing of MVVs and residency permits takes about 60 days and 90 days, respectively, at the Immigration Department. The final decision is communicated to the concerned educational institutions.

  • Successes
    1 million
  • Counseled
    10 Million+
  • Experts
    Since 1999
  • Offices
  • TEAM
  • CRM
    WORLD'S #1
    #1 CX
speak to a counsellor
Get started

We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.

I accept the terms & conditions.
Follow Us

We want to hear from you!